SPAN (Suicide Prevention Awareness Network)
TOUGH TIMES PASS…
Hope Bereavement Care is honoured to auspice the Suicide Prevention Awareness Network (SPAN) group.
Embracing the gift of life
SPAN is a suicide bereavement support group that works toward reducing loss from suicide. It has been holding its Suicide Awareness Walk annually since 2010.
The aim of the Walk is to combat the stigma and shame that can accompany suicide and provides a means of bringing people together to raise awareness of suicide.
A dream of SPAN’s founding members, the Walk is a positive and active family and community event where people who have been directly or indirectly affected by suicide can come together and pay tribute to lost loved ones, offer support to others who are hurting and, ultimately, embrace the gift of life.
The SPAN Suicide Awareness Walk vision
Create a safe, welcoming and supportive space by:
- Fostering an atmosphere of community
- Caring for those in distress
- Reducing, where possible, any barriers to attending the Walk
- Promoting available support services
Reduce stigma by:
- Adopting a charter of removing the stigma related to suicide
- Promoting and encouraging attendance at the Walk by those supporting someone bereaved by suicide
- Providing education
- Aligning the Walk with World Suicide Prevention Day