Grieving a baby or child
Hope Bereavement Care in Geelong provides free information, support and counselling to people affected by the death of a baby or child from conception to 18 years of age.
Every parent fears the loss of a baby or child, and when it happens, the death is devastating to parents, family members, friends and workmates – the impact has a far-reaching ripple effect.
Grief counselling for the loss of a baby or child requires specialised skills and training.
Our support services include:
- Free grief counselling either in-person or remotely for parents affected by the death of a baby or child
- Counselling and support for extended family members, friends, workmates and school communities also affected by baby or child loss
- Secondary consultation for professionals supporting those affected by the death of a baby or child
Our support groups include:
- The Empty Arms Support Group, for families and friends who have suffered a loss from miscarriage, stillbirth or neonatal death, either recently or many years ago;
- The TCF and Hope Drop-In Group, run in partnership with The Compassionate Friends (TCF), for any parent who has lost a child of any age and from any cause;
- Men’s Bereavement in the Bar, an informal group for men who have experienced the loss of a loved one, of any age and from any cause;
- Creative Bereavement Workshops for anyone who has experienced the loss of a baby or child and would like to explore their grief through the creative process – no art experience is needed (contact us for upcoming dates).
For more information, please contact us.
* For 24-hour support for those grieving the loss of a baby or child, call Red Nose Grief and Loss on 1300 308 307. Note that Kids Helpline (call 1800 55 1800) also offers 24-hour support for children and young adults aged 5-25.
Grief after pregnancy and baby loss
– a resource map that we hope helps navigating the journey of grief a little easier
This program is proudly supported by Give Where You Live.
- The support of qualified counsellors and trained parent supporters
- Support groups offering bereaved people opportunities to meet others with similar experiences
- Trauma and grief information to assist bereaved people and their families and support people
- A library of online resources for those affected by the death of a baby or child
- Advice, education and support for groups such as emergency services personnel, community service providers and school communities